[gradients] basics

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 15:36:20 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Reading this:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#gradients-

The very first phrase:

"A gradient is a browser-generated image specified entirely in CSS,
which consists of smooth fades between several colors."

appears as technically incorrect.

Common interpretation of the gradient in graphics: rule that defines
color progression or distribution of colors inside some figure.

Filling of some image by gradient is just one of possible cases.

This for example:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/ed-gradient.png
is an example of equidistant gradient.

I mean that insisting on gradient as such a "generated image" cuts many
useful cases upfront.

As I said couple of times already:
gradients belong to the value of 'background-color' attribute more than
to 'background-image'.

If to think that gradient is such a background-image then we need to
define how such an image is affected by say:

background-size: ...;
background-attachment: ... | fixed | local;
background-repeat: ...;

And second paragraph:
"In many places this specification references a box, such ...."
definitely requires more formal specification. E.g. "would be filled
by an SVG image" is just sort of guess or appellation to
reader's intuition.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com