Re: unitless angles (and times and frequencies) [css3-2d-transforms][css3-3d-transforms][css3-images]

On Nov 4, 2009, at 10:18 AM, L. David Baron wrote:

> Both CSS 2.0 and css3-values are clear that '0' (without units) is
> <time>.
>
> It turns out that:
>
> * unambiguous parsing of the new gradient syntax proposal depends
>   on this (in particular, that '0' is not an angle)
>
> * css3-2d-transforms has a number of examples of using '0' as an
>   angle, e.g., 'rotate(0)'
>
> I think 'rotate(0)' is currently implemented in Mozilla, and I'm
> guessing that, given the examples in the transforms spec, it's also
> implemented in WebKit.
>

> We either need to:
> * decide that CSS 2.0 and css3-values are correct, change the
>   transforms examples, and possibly break some existing uses of
>   transforms,
> * make a special exception for angles in transform functions, or
> * fix the gradients spec in some way.
>
> My current inclination may actually be to make an exception for
> transform functions.

Unitless 0 for angles in transforms is very common. I'd prefer we don't
break that.

I'm close to proposing a slightly modified syntax for gradients, but I
fear
it will have the same ambiguity about a parameter being a length vs.
an angle if unitless.

Simon