Re: [css3-2d-transforms] DOM interfaces, especially CSSTransformValue

From: Řyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:35:30 +0100
To: "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:22:42 +0100, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 10/09/2009, at 2:56 AM, Řyvind Stenhaug wrote:
>
>> 1)
>> Section 7 of the CSS 2D Transforms draft specifies a number of DOM
>> interfaces, among them CSSTransformValue which inherits from
>> CSSValueList. However, according to an earlier message from the WG [1],
>> interfaces inheriting from and related to CSSValue are "classified as
>> obsolete", and "[i]mplementors are strongly urged not to implement
>> them". This would seem to apply to CSSTransformValue and probably also
>> CSSMatrix as written.
>
> Yeah. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix this? What is the best
> alternative?

No suggestions, sorry... unsure of the use cases of these interfaces and
not very familiar with CSSOM things.

>> 2)
>> It seems inconsistent/confusing that "getComputedStyle
>> ([...]).transform" would return a CSSValue, since it looks just like
>> the DOM attributes in CSS2Properties which are all of type DOMString
>> and equivalent to calling getPropertyValue.
>
> What would you prefer?

That it return a string just like getPropertyValue('transform'). What
format exactly I'm not sure (that isn't clear for other properties
either). Looks like WebKit and Gecko return a stringified matrix function
for transformed elements and "none" otherwise.

If the CSSValue interface were not obsoleted, it looks like it would be
expected to be accessible as getPropertyCSSValue('transform').

--
Řyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA