Re: [css3-2d-transforms] DOM interfaces, especially CSSTransformValue

From: Řyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:35:30 +0100
To: "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:22:42 +0100, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 10/09/2009, at 2:56 AM, Řyvind Stenhaug wrote:
>> 1)
>> Section 7 of the CSS 2D Transforms draft specifies a number of DOM
>> interfaces, among them CSSTransformValue which inherits from
>> CSSValueList. However, according to an earlier message from the WG [1],
>> interfaces inheriting from and related to CSSValue are "classified as
>> obsolete", and "[i]mplementors are strongly urged not to implement
>> them". This would seem to apply to CSSTransformValue and probably also
>> CSSMatrix as written.
> Yeah. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix this? What is the best
> alternative?

No suggestions, sorry... unsure of the use cases of these interfaces and
not very familiar with CSSOM things.

>> 2)
>> It seems inconsistent/confusing that "getComputedStyle
>> ([...]).transform" would return a CSSValue, since it looks just like
>> the DOM attributes in CSS2Properties which are all of type DOMString
>> and equivalent to calling getPropertyValue.
> What would you prefer?

That it return a string just like getPropertyValue('transform'). What
format exactly I'm not sure (that isn't clear for other properties
either). Looks like WebKit and Gecko return a stringified matrix function
for transformed elements and "none" otherwise.

If the CSSValue interface were not obsoleted, it looks like it would be
expected to be accessible as getPropertyCSSValue('transform').

Řyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA