Re: [css3-page] [css3-multicol] paginating for zero-height pages/columns

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 18:50:33 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Melinda and I discussed this problem a few times, but didn't manage to come
> up with any clever answers. Question: What should be the expected rendering
> of continuous content (e.g. a fixed-height div) when painted into
> zero-height
> pages or columns?
>
> If we had lines of text, we could invoke the "don't break line boxes" rule
> and force at least one line box per page, even if it wound up getting
> clipped
> entirely. But with something that has no discrete units, what should the UA
> do?

The immediate answer that comes to mind is to use a similar rule, and
paint the element on the first page, then move to the next page.  So a
succession of n fixed-height divs would generate n pages.

This feels like it's close to what happens when the page is of
small-but-nonzero height, and the similarity to what happens in the
text case makes it intuitive for authors.  (When such a weird
situation happens, you'd better make sure you're doing something
relatively intuitive.)

~TJ