Re: [css3-page] [css3-multicol] paginating for zero-height pages/columns

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Melinda and I discussed this problem a few times, but didn't manage to come
>> up with any clever answers. Question: What should be the expected rendering
>> of continuous content (e.g. a fixed-height div) when painted into
>> zero-height pages or columns?
>>
>> If we had lines of text, we could invoke the "don't break line boxes" rule
>> and force at least one line box per page, even if it wound up getting clipped
>> entirely. But with something that has no discrete units, what should the UA
>> do?
>
> The immediate answer that comes to mind is to use a similar rule, and
> paint the element on the first page, then move to the next page.  So a
> succession of n fixed-height divs would generate n pages.

A sequence of n fixed-height divs currently gets paginated to as many
pages as it will take to fit all of the content. If the height is greater
than the height of the page, it will be more than n pages. I think this
behavior makes a lot of sense, and I don't want to change it. However, we
do run into a problem for zero height pages.

~fantasai