Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Mar 29, 2009, at 1:35 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>> I written up a proposal that I think solves this problem, plus a
>> couple others that I think are even bigger for authors. I'd
>> appreciate it if everyone could take a look and let me know what
>> you think. In the following link, I describe three problems
>> (including this one), and a nice solution that I would love to see
>> implemented:
>>
>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/Thinking_Outside_The_Box.html
>>

> I really love this proposal.
>
> I can't implement it in WebKit until we drop the -webkit-, since it
> would break content all over OS X.  :)   The problem being of course
> that apps use -webkit-border-image and expect it to specify the
> border widths.  Since the images are guaranteed to be present (OS X
> resources after all), they didn't bother with fallback border
> widths.  Therefore changing the -webkit- version of the property to
> match this proposal isn't really possible. (I guess I could make a -
> webkit2-border-image... LOL)

I was afraid you were going to say that. I wouldn't mind a '-webkit2-
border-image' if that's what it took. Or the property can be renamed
as 'image-border' (which seems more natural to me anyway), and you can
-webkit- prefix that.

> [...]
> Should negative offsets be allowed for (b)?  I don't see why not,
> but just thought I'd ask, since your proposal doesn't really say one
> way or the other.

I did think about that too after I posted it. I think negative offsets
should be allowed, and could be useful for pushing the border images
further into the padding-box/content-box area. I don't have any
problem with that.

> Anyway, I think this proposal is great and hope the WG will adopt it.

:)