[CSS 2.1: 9.8.3] 'clear' applies to inline elements?

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:35:42 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org
|     <SPAN id=inner> Inner contents.</SPAN>
|     <SPAN id=sibling> Sibling contents.</SPAN>
|  However, if the 'clear' property on the sibling element is set to
|  'right' (i.e., the generated sibling box will not accept a position
|  next to floating boxes to its right), the sibling content begins to
|  flow below the float:
|     #inner { float: right; width: 130px; color: blue }
|     #sibling { clear: right; color: red }

In this example, the 'clear' property is specified at an inline-level
element <SPAN id=sibling>. This contradicts the definition:
| 9.5.2 Controlling flow next to floats: the 'clear' property
|  'clear'
|         Applies to:       block-level elements

I searched the mailing list and found this problem was already reported:

and found the CSS WG response:
|    The example is indeed inaccurate, but we're going to leave
|    it for now.

I think this inaccurate example confuses people learning CSS
and hope this will be corrected before the CSS2.1 final REC.

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House Formatter