[css-gcpm] order of text replace vs. whitespace processing

From: Ludger Buenger <ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:53:46 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Good evening list.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#character <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#character>  sais regarding the text-replace property:

"This property is evaluated after the 'content' property, and before 'text-transform'."

However (if I am not mistaken) it is undefined, whether text-replace is to be applied before or after whitespace processing.

Currently I expect that the sentence above implicitly assumes that whitespace processing happens after text-transform but

CSS2.1 never defines when text-transform is applied with respect to whitespace processing.

In 2.1 it did not matter - text-transform does not modify the content in a way that it affects whitespace processing so applying whitespace processing before text transformation does not change the result.

However with text-replace now being defined to happen before text-transform should't it be defined that/whether text replacement also occurs before whitespace processing?

Best regards,

Ludger

--

Dipl.-Inf. Ludger Bünger

Senior Software Engineer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RealObjects GmbH

Altenkesseler Str. 17/B6

66115 Saarbrücken, Germany

Tel +49 (0)681 98579 0

Fax +49 (0)681 98579 29

http://www.realobjects.com

ludger.buenger@realobjects.com

Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Saarbrücken, HRB 12016

Managing Directors: Michael Jung, Markus Neurohr

VAT-ID: DE210373115