Re: civility ruling, please RE: (fonts) MTX skepticism

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:38:37 -0700
To: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Thomas Lord wrote:
> Here is the situation in which I find myself:
>
> 1. One seeming authority has asked the font
>    discussion to cease on this mailing as being
>    inappropriate.
>
> 2. I have posted far less than many in that
>    discussion though I staked out a novel,
>    defensible compromise that would create
>    new value for users of the web.
>
> 3. The authority calling for a cessation of the
>    discussion singled *me* out as an example
>    of the problem.
>
> 4. The people whose positions I argued against,
>    including some other authorities within W3C,
>    have continued the discussion here.   Their
>    continuation of the discussion includes some
>    proposed rebuttals of my arguments.
>
> 5. I can not both honor the request to move the
>    discussion from this list AND defend myself
>    against these rebuttals, which I find to be
>    flawed.
>
> The resulting appearance is of a parliamentary
> maneuver to suppress the introduction of a new
> compromise proposal.  I do not presume that that
> is the intent, yet it is the undeniable effect.
>
> Now I would like to know:
>
> a) Where does authority to police this list
> officially reside?   Is the initial admonishment
> I received authoritative or not?

Hard to answer; it depends on how you define authority.
I have no official authority over this list, but I think
most participants would consider my message authoritative.

> b) If the admonishment is authoritative, then
> on what basis does the discussion continue anyway,
> including attacks on my position against which I am
> told I may not defend myself?

I didn't single you out and ask you not to reply, only not
to start any new threads here. I /would/ like everyone to
shift their discussions to www-font by the end of the month
(that is, tomorrow). The best way to do this is by replying
to either www-font only or to both www-font and www-style
with the Reply-to header set to www-font and a note at the
end noting the shift of mailing list, as Vladimir has done
here:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2009AprJun/0001.html

To preserve context, you can quote generously and/or link
to the appropriate archived message.

> c) Will Håkon, Vladimir, and other principles
> in this effort agree to establish a forum for the
> airing of these issues in an orderly manner, a
> forum in which I may represent and defend my views?

Philippe has notified me that the Fonts WG charter has been
updated to point to www-font, and Håkon and Vladimir have
already started posting to www-font, so I believe this is
happening already.

http://www.w3.org/2009/03/fonts-wg-charter

~fantasai