Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:53:14 +0300
To: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
François REMY wrote:
> From: "HċkonWium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>
>> So, you're arguing that other browser -- who currently support open
>> formats -- should add support for an obfuscated format, but Microsoft
>> -- who currently supports an obfuscated format in IE -- is not willing
>> to support open formats in IE?
>>
>> If so, you remove much of the motivation for a font compromise.
>
> IE seems to support TTF/OTF file on my computer.
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-webfonts/test-georgian-ucnobi.html

TTF/OTF does not seem to work here (tested with Windows Internet
Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 running on Windows XP SP 3).

I did not install the font on the OS and I ended up with "System default
font" rendering for all the lines.

Perhaps IE is loosely matching the string "ucnobi" in the middle of test
font name and used the font installed on the OS... Could you prepare a
testcase that uses e.g. "test.ttf" as the font filename and "test" as
the font-family name?

--
Mikko