Re: (fonts) MTX skepticism

From: Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:57:15 -0700
CC: www-style@w3.org
To: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>

On Jun 26, 2009, at 2:20 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I would like to suggest that the topic be tabled for several months,
> after which we can have a look at actual web usage of the feature as
> it
> now exists in the various popular browsers, and perhaps have a more
> informed idea of what still needs to be done.

The problem for font vendors is that our customers are asking for some
action. We're trying to do that by making some concrete proposals --
EOT, and now Ascender's -- and from where I'm sitting there is
progress in talking out the issues and solutions.

I'm not convinced that this conversation is going to be any different
after several months. I could speculate that, in October, we would
again have another suggestion that we wait another several months in
order to have an even more informed idea of what needs to be done.

As I said earlier, threads like this are useful, but obviously
chaotic. Could we not now take the discussion to the relative calm of
the Fonts Working Group?

Regards,
Christopher