W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > June 2009

[CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-06-24

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:57:11 -0700
Message-ID: <4A429327.2090702@inkedblade.net>
To: www-style@w3.org
Summary:

   - RESOLVED: Accept Sylvain's proposal for CSS2.1 Issue 61
               http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-61
               http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0116.html
   - Reviewed CSS3 Image Values draft, fantasai to add some more explanation
     before publication as FPWD.
   - Skimmed a few more issues before closing due to lack of quorum.

====== Full minutes below ======

Attendees:
   CÚsar Acebal
   David Baron
   Arron Eicholz
   Elika Etemad
   Sylvain Galineau
   Daniel Glazman (chair)

<RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/06/24-CSS-irc
<annevk> fantasai, while I'm still here, page-break would become sugar for
          break, not the other way around
<fantasai> ok

ScribeNick: fantasai
Note: We do not have enough people for full discussions.

CSS2.1 Issue 61
---------------

   <sgalineau> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0116.html
   <fantasai> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-61
   Sylvain: Has to do with defining percentage heights for internal table elements.
   Sylvain: Spec says it should compute to 'auto'
   Sylvain: but in practice this is not what happens.
   Sylvain: Everybody does something different
   Sylvain: One thing to do is make it undefined
   Glazou: browser vendors very unlikely to change things wrt percentage heights
           in time for 2.1.
   Sylvain: They might do it before 2.1, but it would take a long time to develop
            and agree on an algorithm
   Glazou: It's a can of worms, it would take ages to specify everything. We
           don't have time.
   Sylvain and glazou would like to define this, but must be pragmatic for CSS2.1
   <glazou> oyvinds, annevk : opinion ?
   <glazou> can you join the call BTW ?
   <oyvinds> I defer to my senior colleagues
   <oyvinds> counting annevk as one in terms of specs experience
   <glazou> but your senior colleagues are not here
   RESOLVED: proposal accepted for css2.1 issue 61
   <Zakim> +dbaron
   glazou summarizes the call so far for dbaron
   dbaron agrees with resolution
   <Zakim> +arronei; got it

CSS3 Image Values
-----------------

   <glazou> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/
   fantasai summarizes what's in the css3-images draft
   example of image():
     background-image: image(wavy.svg, 'wavy.png' 150dpi, "wavy.gif"  or blue);
   ACTION fantasai: add example showing what happens with background-color and image(.. or blue)
   fantasai: using 'or' instead of comma for the color b/c draft currently
             allows unquoted URLs (that don't contain problematic chars)
   fantasai: Sprites section unwritten, link to discussions
   fantasai: Inspired mainly by Jorrit's arguments, e.g.
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jan/0284.html
   <fantasai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Jun/0002.html
              gives a very good explanation of why media fragments wg's work is
              important to css
   glazou: sprite proposal from Jorrit is something in between constants and variables and images
   glazou: if we come up with a good solution for this section, the media fragment wg's work will be less critical
   fantasai: Resolution units -- introduce dppx
   fantasai: Lets authors use higher resolution for high-res monitors, e.g. when
             UA uses 2 device pixels per px, while keeping crispness of images
             by aligning on pixel boundaries.
   fantasai: dppx also allows us to give 1dppx as default value for the
             'image-resolution' property, leaving 'auto' to be used for
             "do the right thing and use the image's internal resolution"
   glazou: publish as FPWD?
   dbaron: Would like Daniel's suggested example of fallback color with bgcolor
   <dbaron> (1) Daniel's comment about fallback color interacting with 'background-color'
   <dbaron> (2) having a bit of an introduction to the "Image Sprites" section
   <dbaron> to explain how it's different from slices
   ACTION fantasai: add intro to sprites section

Other Topics
------------

   dbaron: for issues in transitions, I still have more comments
   dbaron: I'm generally picking whatever is easiest for me as an implementor,
           worry about matching the spec later when there's someone to discuss
           the spec with
   dbaron: when there's someone to discuss the spec with

   <glazou> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0055.html
   dbaron: There are a whole bunch of archived comments on css3-lists more
           substantive than that
   dbaron: when we have an editor, the editor should go through www-style
           and find them all. We don't need to discuss this right now.

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0115.html ?
   <fantasai> need hyatt's feedback, too. He said he'd look at css3-background
              changes and issues this week

nothing else we can discuss today
meeting closed
Received on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 20:59:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 17:20:19 GMT