Re: [CSSWG] Minutes F2F 2009-06-05 Part I: SVG Properties, Fonts

From: Michael Jansson <mjan@em2-solutions.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:30:13 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
I would like to mention that I support Thomas view on this, and I would
expect anyone with a foot in the font industry to support this view as
well (that font-weights needs to be treated as numerical values).
Assuming that fonts only has nine level of boldness is clearly wrong and
does not reflect how fonts are used in typographical systems (os font
rasterizers, raster image processors, text layout systems, etc). As
such, I would be all for a proposal to define the font-weight values to
include numeric values (0-999).

This is important for any system trying to render text with a higher
level of quality that what has been seen in browsers so far. I believe
there are several HTML/CSS-based rendering system that require this. I
would not expect any problems with system that does not require this.
Also, I would not anticipate much issues with this change from an
implementation point of view.

Regards,
Em2 Solutions AB
Michael Jansson