Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:47:08 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>> The important point is that we seem to agree we need a universally
>> supported web font wrapper that would allow to put "signs and fences" to
>> reduce a risk of font piracy to a level that would be acceptable for
>> font foundries.
>
>FWIW, I don't think there is anything resembling consensus on this point.

Consensus from whom, and how are we counting?

>If today's font foundries aren't willing to trust their customers, they
>will be replaced by companies that are.

That's a rather scorched-earth philosophy.  How many talented font hinters (read: people capable of making readable body-text-size screen fonts) do you think there are in the world?

I read this idea as a realization that hey, TTF/OTF was not designed for this scenario; maybe it doesn't actually give enough information FOR this scenario.  You know, rather than dismissing out of hand the idea that maybe a more targeted, cooperatively designed solution might need to be developed.

-Chris