Re: starting a new table row

Brad Kemper wrote:
> I dislike having more and more different display values, especially one
> that is almost, but not quite, identical to another.  I would prefer a
> new value for 'clear' that affected rows instead of floats.
>
> .my_table_structure > div { display: table-cell }
> .my_table_structure > div:nth-of-type(4n+1) { clear:row; }

This doesn't seem that unreasonable, though it raises the issue of what
to do for non-table elements when "clear:row" is set.  Presumably it'd
just have no effect.

> Perhaps this sort of clearing could even be applied to an element in the
> contents of a table cell, to force its nearest table-cell ancestor into
> a new row.

That's much much harder to implement than just allowing it on the table
cell, for what it's worth.  I _think_ the table-cell case could be done
in a few hours with very little performance cost; the other would take a
great deal more time; I can't even speculate as to whether it could be
done without performance costs at this point.

Are there obvious use cases for it?

-Boris