Re: starting a new table row

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:50:09 -0700
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Jun 17, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I suggested this in February of this year:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0522.html
>
> display:table-row-start would make the element act like a table-cell,
> but force the generation of a new anonymous table-row box.

I dislike having more and more different display values, especially
one that is almost, but not quite, identical to another.  I would
prefer a new value for 'clear' that affected rows instead of floats.

.my_table_structure > div { display: table-cell }
.my_table_structure > div:nth-of-type(4n+1) { clear:row; }

Perhaps this sort of clearing could even be applied to an element in
the contents of a table cell, to force its nearest table-cell ancestor
into a new row.