Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:09:00 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
2009/6/16 Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>:
> I believe we already discussed this and agreed that certain aspects
> of EOT solution can be implemented in a different way, e.g.
> utilizing same-origin restriction and CORS technology as Mozilla proposed.

Just to clarify: Same-origin restrictions are not the same as root
strings; it is not a way to label the website which the font has been
licensed for. However, EOT root strings are typiclally used to create
same-origin restrictions. Is this correct?

> The important point is that we seem to agree we need a universally
> supported web font wrapper that would allow to put "signs and fences" to
> reduce a risk of font piracy to a level that would be acceptable for font
> foundries

All web assets can be enhanced by a wrapper format to better convey
metadata, and fonts are a great prototype asset.

I think its important to frame this issue in terms of benefiting
users, not "reducing piracy."