Re: [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

On Jul 31, 2009, at 5:42 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> This is all a fair point to make, but now I am wondering if CSS is
> a floor wax also?
>
> Look, I'm fine with this module supporting CMYK. My concerns, again
> are:
>
> 1. That resources that could otherwise be used to mature device-
> independent RGB handling in CSS are not siphoned away for dealing
> with CMYK. This is important for many more users of CSS than just
> those using this module. But better RGB handling is needed for
> paper-based publishing as well. There *are* RGB output devices. All
> desktop inkjet printers are RGB for example.

I just checked the three desktop inkjet printers near my computer and
all three are CMYK. I don't believe your last statement is factual. I
do, however, agree that the management of resources (the balance
between RGB improvements and CMYK new technology) is important. This
is one of the functions of this group -- to demonstrate interest /
importance of current and new features for CSS. The length and
breadth of this thread demonstrates interest in BOTH, therefore it is
necessary to apportion development resources, rather than simply
ignore one.

> 2. A page description language absolutely should not make it easy
> to create ambiguous content. Untagged CMYK is ambiguous. No CMYK
> support is better than ambiguous CMYK content.

Because of its roots and usage, CSS is often ambiguous -- where do
floats go? How many words fit on a line? Is this 'red' the same on
all monitors? It is part of the specification that, sometimes, the
output will look different on different days or different hardware.
This part of the specification -- gcpm -- is for printed materials,
and I agree with several on this thread that we must get as close to
standardization for printed materials as possible. Since CSS MAY BE
ambiguous, this might not be exactly what a page description language
or full printing suite of software would produce, but CSS is too
useful for too many things to throw away because it is imperfect.

</James>