Re: [CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders] Proposal for combining border-break and background-break

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:08:20 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> (2) The ability to specify bounding-box coverage for backgrounds.
>>        - My proposal here is to scrap this feature.
>>        - I do not see a use case for placing a background into the bounding
>> box.   That just seems like it would give unusual results for both inlines
>> and columns.  Columns broken across pages would be even stranger.
>
> I definitely see the use for this ability, but it's nothing that can't
> be done by putting a background on a container element instead.  I'd

Putting a background on the container element would get you a very different
effect.

The bounding-box effect is similar to the tables example here:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/table-backgrounds/edge.gif
Imagine we just have the first row, and each box is a column rather than
a table cell.
Here's the concept rendering for that image:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/table-backgrounds/edge-d.gif

What bounding-box does is draw a rectangle that includes all pieces of
the element--without moving those pieces around--and then clips out the
parts of the background that are needed to inside the element's boxes.

You can see some interesting effects with gradients. See
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Apr/0131.html

~fantasai