Re: [css3-background] should radii be capped?

On Jul 22, 2009, at 3:41 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
>> As of FF3.5, Mozilla still does support percentages in border-radius,
>> but the percentages are always interpreted relative to the outer
>> *width* of the border box, even for the vertical semi-axis of an
>> ellipse.  This is so we can continue to get circular arcs for
>> "border-radius: 10%" without messing with the defaulting rules.
>>
>> I'd be happy to change that at least somewhat, but I think
>> "border-radius: 10%" needs to keep doing quarter circles.
>
> I can see four possible solutions:
>
> 1) We introduce % units and specify that percentages refer to width
>   /or/ height. This makes 'border-radius: 50%' become an ellipsis.

How about if when specified as a single percentage that it is a
percentage of the width (or of the shortest dimension?). But when two
lengths are given and one or both are percentages, then they operates
on whatever side it is specified on.

That way, "10%" still gives quarter-circle corners, but "50% 50%"
creates an ellipse.

Percentages would be capped to 100% total (proportionally), so that
"80% 80%" would be the same as "50% 50%", and "120% 80%" would be the
same as "60% 40%"

P.S. "ellipsis" = "...", and "ellipses" = "oval or circle". But we all
knew what you meant.