Re: [css3-background] should radii be capped?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:34:47 -0700
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

On Jul 21, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

>> The goal of the formula is to preserve the shape
>> of the curve
>
> The question becomes: if preserving the shape of the curve worth the
> higher cost of achieving elliptic forms?
>
> If we remove the protection of the shape, what's the worst case
> scenario?

I think authors are more likely to want to achieve and preserve a
"rounded rectangle" shape with circle-arc corners, and have that
maintained independent of resizing, than to want to achieve an
elliptical shape and have that maintained independent of resizing. If
the latter use case is actually important, then it may deserve some
special syntax, such as percentage units for border-radius.

Regards,
Maciej