Re: [css3-background] should radii be capped?

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> What you want appears to be 'border-radius: 50%'. Yes? That's a
> different feature, and one we can consider if there's agreement on
> what it should do. (Mozilla used to have percentage border-radii, but
> because they didn't allow elliptical corners it always resulted in
> quarter-circles.)

As of FF3.5, Mozilla still does support percentages in border-radius,
but the percentages are always interpreted relative to the outer
*width* of the border box, even for the vertical semi-axis of an
ellipse.  This is so we can continue to get circular arcs for
"border-radius: 10%" without messing with the defaulting rules.

I'd be happy to change that at least somewhat, but I think
"border-radius: 10%" needs to keep doing quarter circles.

By the way, I wrote a guide to border-radius for hacks.mozilla.org; it
hasn't gone public yet, but a draft is here:
http://www.owlfolio.org/DRAFT/border-radius/  I would be glad to take
corrections, commentary, and suggestions.

zw