Re: [css3-background] stacking order of border image

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:16:29 -0800
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach fantasai:
>
>  > > So, how about placing the background from the 'border-image' be at the
>  > > bottom of the stack instead? Or, perhaps even simpler, just clip the
>  > > middle part of the borders image (the one rectangle which is not used
>  > > as a border)?
>  >
>  > If it's really an issue, we can add an 'empty' keyword to trigger
>  > omitting the center part of the image. Or change the behavior and
>  > have 'fill' require filling the middle.
>
> A new keyword could fix it. But it's expensive to change the syntax at
> this point.

How is it expensive to change the syntax? It's still a Working Draft, not
even Last Call! And it's /adding/ a keyword, not changing any existing
syntax.

> How about just changing the stacking order so that the border-image goes
> to the bottom?

We can't do that. Backgrounds paint into the border region by default.
Borders sit on top of that. It wouldn't make any sense for border-image
to paint below that.

> This would allow my code to work as expected:
>
>      div {
>         background: black;
>         border-image: url(picture.jpg) 125 125 125 125 stretch stretch;
>      }

That wouldn't work, it would make everything black.

~fantasai