Re: [css3-background] stacking order of border image

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:09:21 -0600
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> If it's really an issue, we can add an 'empty' keyword to trigger
> omitting the center part of the image. Or change the behavior and
> have 'fill' require filling the middle.
> Do any web designers have an opinion on this?

The primary use I'll be putting border-image to will be fancy buttons,
but I expect that when I use it for other things, I'll primarily want
a transparent background.  While it's not a huge issue to core out an
image and save it in a format that supports transparency, it's still
additional work.  I would appreciate the ability to switch it on or
off.  I have no personal preference on whether we make it on or off by
default; since the largest use-case is probably fancy buttons (at
least initially), it should probably be on by default, and thus we
would have an 'empty' keyword to turn the center background off.