Re: [CSS2.1-9.5] [CSS2.1-9.4.1] Block formatting context and Floats

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
> I would prefer the behaviour to be defined, although I am indifferent as to
> which is chosen, and I confess to not being aware of /any/ examples in the
> wild where a non-floated BFC sits next to a float(*) and where the author is
> relying on a particular rendering result, as alluded to by Boris Zbarsky[2],
> so I can't fully evaluate why a particular one might be preferable.  (Not
> that I doubt him.)
>
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0226.html

Reading that thread, I see that it was stated that there is no
implementation consistency on this issue.  At this point, almost a
year later, it seems that is no longer true.  At the very least, I get
basically identical renderings of the page I referenced in Firefox
3.0.5, IE8b2, Safari 3.1.1, and Opera 9.51.

There may still be some differences in implementations, but they're
close enough that I can confidently use this effect in my designs, and
only have to apply workarounds to IE7.