Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:16:40 -0800 (PST)
To: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

> Okay, that's terrible :)
>
> Prince is perfectly happy to map "Times New Roman" to the bold weight of
> that font if asked to do so, and we prefer not to engage in font name
> munging to achieve that.

Precisely how is Prince using a single @font-face rule to define a *set*
of font faces?

Again, you seem to be shoehorning font name aliasing syntactic sugar
into this feature.  Why not just propose a way such that "MyFont" always
translates to "FontA, FontB, FontC"?

> Given that font-weight can have nine values, and we also support
> font-stretch as well, that's what, 9 * 9 * 2 = 162 different
> @font-face rules required to specify all the variants of a font? I
> think that using a single font family name is easier.

No, you only need to define one rule per face.  Normal CSS style
matching does the rest.  Just like the rules defined on this page:

http://www.princexml.com/fonts/larabie2/index.css

Cheers,

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan