Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:45:17 +1100
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Hi John,

> @font-face {
>   font-family: MyFont;
>   src: local("Times New Roman");
> }
>
> @font-face {
>   font-family: MyFont;
>   src: local("Times New Roman Bold");
>   font-weight: bold;
> }
>
> @font-face {
>   font-family: MyFont;
>   src: local("Times New Roman Italic");
>   font-style: italic;
> }
>
> @font-face {
>   font-family: MyFont;
>   src: local("Times New Roman Bold Italic");
>   font-weight: bold;
>   font-style: italic;
> }

Okay, that's terrible :)

Prince is perfectly happy to map "Times New Roman" to the bold weight of
that font if asked to do so, and we prefer not to engage in font name
munging to achieve that.

The only occasion when we would add an additional rule is when a font
has been installed with a different family name, eg. "Arial Black" which
would otherwise be missed. This could be included like this:

@font-face {
     font-family: Arial;
     font-weight: 900;
     src: local("Arial Black")
}

Given that font-weight can have nine values, and we also support
font-stretch as well, that's what, 9 * 9 * 2 = 162 different @font-face
rules required to specify all the variants of a font? I think that using
a single font family name is easier.

Cheers,

Michael

--