RE: [css3-page][css3-multicol] margins at page or column breaks

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:53:13 +0100
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > With this issue, I tend to agree that CSS3 adds enough complexity
 > to make it desirable to control margin behavior on breaks,
 > especially in columns (where @page rules don't apply, at least
 > now). A property to control what happens to a margin after a page
 > break makes perfect sense. I would call it
 >
 >         margin-before-at-break: discard | retain

So, it seems we have two use cases and three options.

UC 1:

    there should be a margin on top of first page in this section
    (in addition to page margins)

UC 2:

    there should not be a margin on top of first page of this table
    (but there should be page margins)

PROPOSAL (A): no new properties/values

  div.chapter {
     page-break-before: always;  /* forced page break */
     margin-top: 2em; /* honored due to forced page break */
  }

  table.alone {
     page-break-before: always;
     margin-top: 0;
  }

PROPOSAL (B): new property 'margin-before-at-break' or 'margin-before-conditionality'

  div.chapter {
     page-break-before: always;  /* forced page break */
     margin-top: 2em;
     margin-before-at-break: retain;
  }

  table.alone {
     page-break-before: always;
     margin-top: 2em;
     margin-before-at-break: discard;
  }

PROPOSAL (C): new value on exisiting margin properties

  div.chapter {
     page-break-before: always;
     margin-top: 2em retain;
  }

  table.alone {
     page-break-before: always;
     margin-top: 2em discard;
  }

To me, (a) is simpler and therefore better. I'm a simple person.

Cheers,

-h&kon