Re: [css3-fonts] new editor's draft

John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I've updated the Editor's Draft of the CSS3 Fonts spec to tighten up
> the definition of @font-face rules.

Thanks, this fixes a lot of the issues I had.

> * Definition of unicode-range values and how errors are handled is
> clarified.

Your changes here address some, but not all, of Issue 70 [

  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/70
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Sep/0197.html

]:

 * The phrase "Ranges that do not follow the syntax above" is
   confusing; suggest "Ranges that do not fit any of the above
   three forms".

 * The term "ranges that have no meaning" is defined only by a
   nonexhaustive example -- if you mean "interval ranges where
   the second number is less than the first" please say so.

 * You do not say what happens if some of the ranges in a list
   overlap each other.

 * You do not say what happens if ranges specify code points greater
   than U+10FFFF.

> * Define which names are allowed with local().

This still does not give *syntax* for what goes inside the parentheses,
we need a specification in terms of CSS tokens.  I suggest

and prose explaining that the quoted form must be used if the
"format-specific string that uniquely identifies a font face within a
larger family" is not a single CSS identifier.  (In practice I think
they do tend to be single CSS identifiers, but consider something like
"-adobe-times-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", which does in fact
uniquely identify a single font face on the computer I'm typing this
on.)

zw