Re: [css3-fonts] new editor's draft

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:41:21 -0800
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I've updated the Editor's Draft of the CSS3 Fonts spec to tighten up
> the definition of @font-face rules.

Thanks, this fixes a lot of the issues I had.

> * Definition of unicode-range values and how errors are handled is
> clarified.

Your changes here address some, but not all, of Issue 70 [

 * The phrase "Ranges that do not follow the syntax above" is
   confusing; suggest "Ranges that do not fit any of the above
   three forms".

 * The term "ranges that have no meaning" is defined only by a
   nonexhaustive example -- if you mean "interval ranges where
   the second number is less than the first" please say so.

 * You do not say what happens if some of the ranges in a list
   overlap each other.

 * You do not say what happens if ranges specify code points greater
   than U+10FFFF.

> * Define which names are allowed with local().

This still does not give *syntax* for what goes inside the parentheses,
we need a specification in terms of CSS tokens.  I suggest

and prose explaining that the quoted form must be used if the
"format-specific string that uniquely identifies a font face within a
larger family" is not a single CSS identifier.  (In practice I think
they do tend to be single CSS identifiers, but consider something like
"-adobe-times-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", which does in fact
uniquely identify a single font face on the computer I'm typing this