Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 13, 2009, at 2:45 PM, fantasai wrote:

> L. David Baron wrote:
>>> Yeah, those should be considered bugs.
>> Should they?
>> I'm really not sure how this should look when 'overflow' is 'scroll'
>> or 'auto', and up to now, 'scroll', 'auto', and 'hidden' work in
>> reasonably similar ways.

"Scroll" or "auto" add scrollbars (or possibly not in the case of
'auto') regardless of whether or not the corners will clip. Perhaps
your (L. David's) point is that even with "scroll" or "auto" there
could be some corner content that could never be scrolled into view,
but I just see that as an authoring caveat.

> Yes, we really want to be able to clip image content to the curve of
> the border-radius. As for scrollbars, I've added this to the spec:
>
>  # The UA may reduce or treat as zero the border-radius for a
>  # given corner if a scrolling mechanism is present in that corner.
>
> So I expect that in a UA whose scrollbars require a sharp corner,
> when the scrollbars are present the border-radius is reduced such
> that the padding edge's radius is zero. Drawing the curved corner
> over or under the scrollbars would look ridiculous, imo.
>
> ~fantasai

Currently, both Firefox (Minefield) and WebKit draw the scrollbar
_over_ (in the z dimension) the curved corner.

I created a little demo/test page for this, including illustrations of
my expectations. It also includes a version of what I understand you
(fantasai) to mean, where the scroll bar does not overlap the corners
and where it "may" reduce the radius enough to squeeze the scroll bar
in. I show it as only reducing the radius of the effected corners, but
maybe if it does that it should reduce all corners evenly? I'm not
sure. Anyway, you can have a quick look here:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/BorderRadiusClipping.html