Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:45:24 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2009-01-13 14:03 -0800, fantasai wrote:
>>> By the way, neither WebKit or FireFox (Minefield) are currently doing
>>> any clipping of the foreground when 'overfow' is hidden, as this text
>>> says it should. I agree that they should do so, and maybe that just
>>> hasn't yet been implemented but will be.
>> Yeah, those should be considered bugs.
> Should they?
> I'm really not sure how this should look when 'overflow' is 'scroll'
> or 'auto', and up to now, 'scroll', 'auto', and 'hidden' work in
> reasonably similar ways.

Yes, we really want to be able to clip image content to the curve of
the border-radius. As for scrollbars, I've added this to the spec:

   # The UA may reduce or treat as zero the border-radius for a
   # given corner if a scrolling mechanism is present in that corner.

So I expect that in a UA whose scrollbars require a sharp corner,
when the scrollbars are present the border-radius is reduced such
that the padding edge's radius is zero. Drawing the curved corner
over or under the scrollbars would look ridiculous, imo.