RE: [css3-gcpm] containing block for top/bottom floats

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:28:14 +0100
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > I don't think this works with nested blocks. If there is a block
 > with left padding inside a column and that block contains a left
 > float, the float will align with content box of the block, not the
 > column.

Thanks. Good reminder. The proposed description only works if the
column box is closer than other potential containing blocks.

 > It makes sense to say this for vertical floats (and perhaps column
 > floats), but it has to be made clear that it doesn't apply to
 > "regular" floats.

Not sure. If you have:

the column box will be the containing block for the float.

So, I suggest that the multicol spec says:

   Column boxes may serve as containing blocks for content that appear
   inside them. That is, column boxes behave lik block-level, table
   cell, and inline-block boxes as per CSS 2.1, section 10.1, item 2
   [CSS21].

-h&kon