(unknown charset) Re: [css3-linebox] aligning lines

From: (unknown charset) L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:18:48 -0500
To: (unknown charset) Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Friday 2009-01-02 18:49 -0800, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> It is tempting to use 'line-height' as 'grid-height'.

As Alex pointed out in a later message, I don't think this will
work, since lines that contain mixed fonts with differing metrics,
which end up with a line box height slightly larger than the
'line-height', will be forced to jump to two grid heights instead of
one.  (This happens because each inline box makes the line contain
enough space to hold the half-leading ('line-height' minus font
height) both above and below each font.  That said, this problem
doesn't occur with some non-default, but probably better, values of

There's also the question of what should be aligned to the grid.  It
seems to me that the baseline is the logical thing to align,
although we'd then have to be careful of multiple baselines.