Re: [css3-gcpm] new draft -- including "overflow: paged"

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:38:26 +0100
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:

 > >  - a new section "Creating paged presentations" bas been added. It
 > >    suggests that it should be possible to express preference for
 > >    page-based presentation by saying:
 > >
 > >      body { overflow: paged }
 > >
 > >    Or something. This would apply to non-paged media (e.g., screen)
 > >    to get rid of the scrollbar.
 >
 > That was confusing.

No, it's obvious :-) Don't you share my hatred of the scrollbar?

 > You might still want a scrollbar, or something very like
 > a scrollbar, to traverse pages. We certainly need overflow:paged to allow
 > the UA to reserve space for UI.

Users will need navigational tools, yes. Exactly how these tools
should look may or may not be specifiable. It's similar to the <video>
element: when the "controls" attribute is added, the UA will provide a
UI. Opera and Mozilla provide slightly different solutions today, and
"overflow: paged" would be the same.

(Of course, one of the first things authors will start asking for is how
to style the UI, so we should be prepared.)

 > BTW shouldn't this be defined as a value for overflow-x/overflow-y with
 > 'overflow' as shorthand?

Yes.

-h&kon