RE: [css3-multicol] Column Model Underdefined

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:11:57 +0000
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>

Håkon said:
>  > I'd like to see Alex's point about page-break-* addressed
>
> I agree that we should close this before LC'ing the draft.
>
> I've added it as an issue. I'm ok with changing it -- it
> makes the draft simpler while retaining the same
> functionality. Are there any opposing votes?

I haven't had a chance to think it through sufficiently, but caution signs are flashing in the back of my head.

Like, what if I want to avoid a page break within an element, but I don't care if it breaks across columns, because all the associated info would still be visible at once.  Presumably, as now, 'page-break-inside: avoid' would accomplish that use case.

Now what if I *don't* want the element to break across columns?  How would I indicate that?  Add a new value? 'page-break-inside: avoid-column'?  Or are you thinking we would just omit this control?

Similar questions come to mind wrt page-break-before and -after.  The 'always', 'right', and 'left' values seem ok (they would continue to cause a page break) and adding 'column' to trigger the column break is fine, but 'avoid' again seems problematic.  It seems we would need to add column-avoid or some such to all the page-breaking properties to make overloading these properties workable, or else not provide the author with the ability to try to constrain content to a single column.

I'm with Håkon, the clumsy naming is really ugly.  Does CSS have any history of adding synonyms as properties?  Introduce 'break-before', etc. as synonyms for page-break-before, etc.?

Best wishes,

Melinda