Re: [css3-background] fallback color on background-image

On Feb 20, 2009, at 10:27 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

>> I'll look into changing the test, but I have to say that
>> "background: red
>> pink" is really unintuitive. Even after reading the spec I don't
>> fully
>> understand what it does. Shouldn't it be on the background-image
>> property?
>> It seems it would cascade badly if set on backgrond-color, too.
>
> I'd be for just removing this feature from the CSS3 draft.  I think
> it's really weird and not particularly useful.

I agree that it is not particularly useful to have a fallback for
background-color. Ever for rgbs colors, a UA that doesn't support it
seems unlikely to support the newer fallback format.

Even for background-image, it might be better to put the fallback into
the "sprite" property we've discussed previously, rather than
complicating the values of every property that uses images.