Re: [css3-background] fallback color on background-image

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2009, at 10:27 AM, David Hyatt wrote:
>
> I agree that it is not particularly useful to have a fallback for
> background-color. Ever for rgbs colors, a UA that doesn't support it
> seems unlikely to support the newer fallback format.

This kind of underscores my point about the syntax being unobvious --
because as I understand it, the proposal _isn't_ about offering a fallback
for the _colour_, but about offering a fallback for when the _image_ isn't
available, in the case where the author desires to only have a background
colour when the image is absent, because normally the image would set the
background colour and it just happens to be transparent in some parts.

...which is so complicated to explain that I agree with hyatt about just
removing it. I don't expect people to even _understand_ how to use it.