Re: [css21] computed value of top/bottom for relative positioning

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:11:08 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Anton Prowse wrote:
>> Nice puzzle!  I don't think you're missing anything, and I suppose it
>> depends on what the philosophy of computed values is.  Do specified
>> percentages normally remain as percentages for the purposes of the
>> computed value?
>
> Yes.

Right.

> I think Anne's point is that section 9.4.3 should explicitly say that
> the computed value of the non-auto side (or the non-ignored side in the
> overconstrained case) is whatever normally happens for computed values
> for the property.

Right.  I interpreted it as posing an additional question of what form
the computed value should take (percentage or length).

What I also wished to point out was that irrespective of whether that
information were explicitly added, the wording of the existing text
could still use a little work, as it doesn't say quite the same thing in
the two cases of 'left'-'right' and 'top'-'bottom'.  It is currently
just about possible to infer the computed value of the non-auto side as
being -25% in Anne's example without the proposed clarification... but
only because each case says a slightly different thing and the
supposition that the cases are analogous means that you can combine the
statements to get the result.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net