Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS WG

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:33:42 -0800
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org, kode@hotbox.ru

Richard Ishida wrote:
> RECOMMENDATIONS
>
> Change CSS3 text so say one of the following:
> 1.	armenian is a synonym of upper-armenian
> 2.	the case of list-style-type: armenian is implementation-defined
>
> I would recommend that IE8 use upper-case to conform to the behaviour of all
> other major browsers tested.
>
> Change the CSS3 text to say one of the following:
> 1.	7000 is represented by Ւ U+0552 ARMENIAN CAPITAL LETTER YIWN
> 2.	7000 is typically represented by Ւ U+0552 ARMENIAN CAPITAL LETTER YIWN
>       but some implementations may prefer to use ՈՒ (U+0548 U+0552), noting
>       that this involves potential for ambiguity
>
> I would recommend that IE8 use the single character, in line with Firefox and Opera.
>
> Change the CSS3 text to say one of the following:
> 1.	armenian numbering is only defined in this specification as far as 9,999.
>       Beyond that the representation is implementation-defined.
> 2.	armenian numbering is only defined in this specification as far as 9,999.
>       Higher numbers will be defined in a later version of the specification.
>
> I'm not sure what to recommend to IE8.
>
> I would recommend that all browsers consider implementing upper-armenian and
> lower-armenian to provide Armenian users with a choice.

Hello Richard, www-international, and unicode-ml,

I have, with smontagu's help, updated the CSS Working Group's internal Editor's
Draft to
   - use U+0552/U+0582 for 7000
   - limit the Armenian numbering system to 9999
as you recommended. Please review those changes, they are visible here:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/#upper-armenian
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/#lower-armenian
   diff @ http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/csswg/css3-lists/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.7
   colored diff @ http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/csswg/css3-lists/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.7&f=h

The CSS Working Group will discuss the appropriate synonym mapping for the
'armenian' keyword, and we will post our resolution to www-style.

Thank you for your investigation and feedback,
~fantasai