Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:02:14 +0100
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Brad Kemper:

 > >  RESOLVED: box-shadow is not suppressed by border-image
 > >  RATIONALE: It's useful in many cases, and the author can suppress
 > >             it himself as needed.
 >
 > Can this be reopened? I strongly disagree with the reasoning above,

I argued for not suppressing border-shadow, for two reasons:

 - properties should be independent of each other, as much as
   possible. Unless there are strong reasons for it, setting a value
   on one property shouldn't affect the interpretation of other
   properties.

 - having box shadows on boxes with border-image seems useful. The
   argument that one can create these shadows in pixmap editor is not
   convincing. I don't want to open a pixmap editor, I want to set
   shadows in CSS

Cheers,

-h&kon