Re: [css3-background] box-shadow and border-break

On Feb 1, 2009, at 1:53 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>

>> On Feb 1, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net
>>> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>>
>>>  So you're saying that in my testcase, the shadow of the first box
>>> of the span should disappear, since it's to the right of that
>>> box's right border edge, but the shadow of the second box of the
>>> span should be drawn in its entirety?
>>>
>>> No, the shadow of the first box should be drawn except on the
>>> (broken)
>>> left side, and the shadow of the second box should be drawn except
>>> on the (broken) right side.
>>>
>>> Like this:
>>>
>>>          +-------
>>>          +-------
>>>            ######
>>>
>>> ---------+
>>>         |#
>>> ---------+#
>>> ###########
>>>
>>> You seem to have missed that the horizontal shadow offset in my
>>> example causes the box-shadow to not intersect the border-box.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>
>> You're right. Because the right side border and padding are
>> suppressed (because they appears on the next line), so should all
>> of the shadow that extends beyond that edge, which in your example
>> is the entire shadow. And likewise, because that part of the shadow
>> (the whole thing) is missing from the first line, it should be
>> there in the second line. Thus, the entire shadow should appear on
>> the second line in this example.
>>
>> Webkit and FireFox/Minefield don't do that yet.
>>

> A test case and bugs filed in our respective databases would be
> helpful here. :)
>
> dave

Well, more than that, I think the Editor's Draft of Border-Break
should be clear than border and padding are not the only things to be
considered when a single element's box gets broken by a page break,
column break, or, for inline elements, at a line break. There are also
things like:

1. border-image,
2. box-shadow (including inset shadows),
3. border-radius

All of the above (and maybe others) could potentially have different
answers based on if the value of the ‘border-break’ property is "none"
or not, and should be dealt with in that section. In fact, has there
been any discussion about combining "border-break" and "background-
break"? It seems like the values of each would often be in tandem with
each other. Thus, if I specified :background-break: each box", I would
most likely also NOT want "border-break: none".

By the way, I can't really imagine setting a non-none value of color
or width that did not match that of the relevant edge of the element
as a whole. It seems to me that there should just be two values for
border-break: none or each-box.