Re: [css3-background] background-position values of start and end

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:44:56 -0500
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: CSS W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2009-12-18 15:24 +1100, Alan Gresley wrote:
> I would like to see the inclusion of background-position values of
> start and end that is analogous with float with values of left,
> right, start and end.

As I mentioned in
http://www.w3.org/mid/20081214194843.GA12253@pickering.dbaron.org ,
we need to be careful here if we want such a solution to be
forwards-compatible with also addressing direction-independence for
vertical text flow.  In particular:
  background-position: top start;
doesn't make sense when the writing direction is tb-lr (where top
and start are the same), so if we're introducing start and end, we
may also want to introduce before and after.

Additionally, as I mentioned, this may not be all that useful
without the ability to flip images.

-David