Re: Proposal: Fixed Table Headers in CSS

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> As far as I understand this is about so called scrollable grids.
> I think that Microsoft Excel is the most known modern example of this.

In terms of tables, yes, that's right.

> I've made couple of attempts to implements such <table>s and can say
> that configuration like:

> is the least controversial from any other solutions I tried.
> But not perfect of course.
>
> Here is how such tables may look like:
> http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/grid1.jpg
>
> It appears as number of fixed rows/columns defined for the table
> is significantly more robust as a solution rather than defining
> fixed position for each cell.

It may end up being the case that tables will work best with their own
solution, similar to what you've outlined.  It wouldn't be the first
time this is the case (for example, CSS Transforms are simply not
adequate for doing rotated table headers).  But we'd still like to
explore the general solution as well.

If we can't come up with anything general that also works well with
tables, then we'll probably have to do the separate solution similar
to what you outline.  I'm not completely pessimistic about this,
though.