Re: Re: Redesign Styles Hypocritical

2009/12/1 Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>:
> As Gerard only sent this to me, passing it back to the lists.

For the sake of completeness, since the thread did at one point refer
back to the historical times:

In historical times, the only sizes that should be specified for
Chinese were 16px and 24px. These are indeed pixel sizes, and no other
sizes should be used, to avoid both browser unresponsiveness and
illegible text (illegible even if we are talking about >100% sizes,
and even if we were using pt, since we cannot guarantee that 1pt = 1px
and only 16px and 24px were safe). If we, in those times, specified a
size like 120% then we would be in grave trouble, or rather giving the
web site visitor grave trouble.

That said, we are long past those times. Right now I have nothing
against not using px, but historically px was at one point mandatory
for at least some writing systems.

--
cheers,
-ambrose