Re: Repeating gradients (Was: Re: Talk on radial gradients)

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:25:42 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Aug 25, 2009, at 10:32 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Overall, I believe both of my syntax proposals (for linear and radial)
> would support this sort of repeating fine, though I think it's
> slightly weird to key it off of background-repeat.  I can see the
> appeal, though, of saying that repeat behavior is image-type-specific.

I feel that the emphasis for CSS gradient "images" should be on the
commonest cases, written simply, with little (if any) special magic
for how they repeat in backgrounds. It seems to me that endlessly
repeating radial gradients would be pretty uncommon, and should be
left to SVG for that. If gradient is an image type in CSS, it should
just behave like an image.