Re: Repeating gradients (Was: Re: Talk on radial gradients)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:32:39 -0500
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Robert O'Callahan<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The behavior of the last example is strange, and probably unwanted,
>> where it runs more color-stops *inside* of the starting-circle.  It
>> makes it basically impossible to have an image start with a
>> solid-color starting-circle.
>
> Weren't you proposing to do away with the inner circle anyway? :-)

Indeed, because you can simulate it with a color-stop.  ^_^  Point
taken, then - with my syntax, behavior inside the inner circle is
irrelevant, because there is no inner-circle.

> Changing the behaviour to not repeat inside the inner circle is an option.
> SVG doesn't support inner circles with nonzero radius so consistency with
> SVG is not an issue.

K.

Overall, I believe both of my syntax proposals (for linear and radial)
would support this sort of repeating fine, though I think it's
slightly weird to key it off of background-repeat.  I can see the
appeal, though, of saying that repeat behavior is image-type-specific.