Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:44:25 -0500
To: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
In the radial-gradient() proposal I just sent to the list, I allow the
entire first argument to be omitted, so that the rule consists
entirely of color-stops.  This is reasonable in a radial-gradient, I
think.

Should I allow the same for linear-gradient()?  The obvious choice
would be to make it automatically be a left->right or top->bottom
gradient, but either one would be equally valid.  I think I use
horizontal gradients more in my personal designs, so I might default
to that.

This way you could just say:

linear-gradient(silver, white)

And have it be equivalent to:

linear-gradient(left, silver 0%, white 100%);

Useful?  Too arbitrary?  Is top->bottom a better default?