Re: Projection media type in fullscreen browser mode

Op Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:44:40 +0200 schreef Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie@antplc.com>:

> Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> The spec says that media types are mutually exclusive:
>>
>> "Media types are mutually exclusive in the sense that a user agent can
>> only support one media type when rendering a document."
>
> Yes it does, but you can't really implement a non-desktop browser that
> follows that.  I have to accept both "screen" and "tv", rather than just
> "tv", because a failure to accept "screen" as well leads to a complete
> lack
> of style on various sites that have tried to separate out their
> stylesheets (usually into "screen" and "print")

Yes, but the question is: do you cascade the 'tv' styles with the 'screen'
styles? Or do you fall back to using 'screen' styles when no 'tv' styles
are found, but ignore the 'screen' when there is a style sheet for the
'tv' media type? The spec is clear that only the latter is allowed (it is
just a case of the user agent intelligently deciding which media type
would be most likely to be useful for its users at any given moment).

--
                                                   Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                                     Opera Software ASA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen