RE: Filling text with a gradient/image

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:45:35 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
| Ok, at this point I have to admit that I don't understand what you
| mean by "scripting issue", then.  Can you give an example?

I have a JavaScript function that incrementally changes the background-position of an element. The function assumes background-position is a single value. I provide that function with an element having two background-images that both have background-position set. There could be some issue with that.

| Your "stroke" property almost does that, but it's polluted by the
| strange effect that it also automatically changes the display of the
| border.  What you want instead is to take webkit's "text-fill"
| property but extend it to accept an identical syntax to background
| (right now it only accepts a color).

Yeah, well, that "stroke" was just off the top of my head, an area that may be slightly fried. I've since changed my mind about auto-applying to border. You'd still need things like border-left-stroke, etc. (which I think you already mentioned). As with your sucky proposal, this could avoid the overlapping text issue. What I was thinking was that the parameters for the gradient would be consistent for both background and stroke, which I think is true of your sucky proposal.

David Perrell