Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:35:56 -0700
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@hpaa.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

On Aug 15, 2009, at 8:11 AM, David Perrell wrote:

> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> | I'm still not sure how you're justifying gradients being the same as
> | colors.  They're not, in any way, as I, Brad, and several others in
> | other circumstances have said.  They're an image.
>
> Consensus can be illogical.

True.

> There are many cases where application of both background linear-
> gradient and background-image would be useful;

True. Multiple backgrounds takes care of that.

> there are none where background-color and linear-gradient would need
> to apply simultaneously.

I think you are forgetting about 'background-size', which can make the
gradient image smaller than the area that the color fills. Then you
can use background-repeat, background-position, etc. (which ROC
mentioned earlier in a thread where I thought he was arguing for
something completely different from what he actually was).